Thursday 27 May 2010

I can't get this grin off my face.

Today is a good day. Maybe because I've had more sleep last night (or got to sleep at all), I'm more alert to my surroundings this morning.

As I was walking to class, I saw this puddle with all the maple leaves on the ground. (Wet and cold this time of year) It was so picturesque. I had an urge to snap out my cameraphone and take a shot. It was so pretty. But I know I can't do as well without a better camera (DX3! But the zoom is shitty) and god forbid I let my digits turn purple. One of the reasons why I like to get pedis. ^^ My blood circulation is that bad.

*Does that mean ah, I don't bleed out as much since blood doesn't circulate well (read: flow faster)? Not taking into account how well my blood clots*

We had IMC today and it was pitch week. From a critical perspective, I find that international students, in general, don't present very well (also including observations from other units). They read off slides, mumble, do things that they shouldn't be doing; don't appear confident at all.

I felt sorry for the domestic student from the first team (one domestic, three international). He looked anxious due to time constraints and how the other members presented (group mark unless peer evaluation is submitted). This international member from his team was squinting down at his notes on the table, then coming back up to talk/mumble, then repeating the whole thing until he was done with his part. I felt anxious for the local dude as well and then I started fidgeting. Thinking whether the performance of the other members will affect the grades or if there's enough time.

Sure, the domestic students read off slides or scripts, too. But they have tone and pitch. If you don't look at them, you'd think they didn't have a script in hand. Except for one presenter today.

Then I started thinking if I should get involved in teaching people how to present. But then have to work on qualifications first. One semester of public speaking classes does not cut it.

Then..! This is the bomb! Hwey must be sick of it since she got approached twice from the same dude. Our Net lecturer asked if he could talk to us after class. Scared me nia!! Nothing to do with our assignments, but everything to do with the honours programme. (Yes, can't stop talking about it.)

He encouraged us to join the programme and thought we would do very well in it. I didn't catch it, but Hwey heard something that went like this, "you guys are a bit of a legend in the department".

FuuuyoooOOh! You know how happy I was after she told me? I literally jumped. All this honours thing is doing shitloads for my ego.

Leaving our mark everywhere we go lah. XD

3 comments:

ohmywtf said...

no...u will still bleed like normal people :-P

_VeL_ said...

It's really sick when someone have group members who really can't present well. But, normally the tutors (Aussie only) will give good words and leave pretty okay grades. Fiona, she was very good in encouraging those international students after the presentations they've done. Although really not that good.

Btw, your parents must be very proud of you both! Maybe they should really consider about it. Letting both of you take the honours programme. Since there's this opportunity. Go check out the scholarship la. Straight go to the office and ask about it. Don't bother checking it online. Kinda waste of time.

cheahwey said...

"Leaving our mark everywhere we go lah."

Oh you mean pissin' on trees everywhere we go?